Dental Implants in Plattsburgh
Losing even one tooth can have serious repercussions for not only your oral health, but your sense of self-confidence as well. At True North Dental Group, Dr. Tom Gerner and Dr. Craig Heins want to get you back to smiling brightly as soon as possible! Our team offers several solutions, but none of them are as transformative, as revitalizing, or as seamlessly lifelike as dental implants. Are you ready to regain your best look? Feel free to contact our Plattsburgh, NY practice today to schedule an implant consultation with our team, or if you have any questions.
Who’s a good candidate for dental implants?
Nearly everyone can receive dental implants, although additional procedures could be required beforehand to ensure the highest chances of success. Ideal candidates should fall into the following categories:
- Generally good oral health, especially gums
- An adequate amount of jawbone density to support implants
- A commitment to practicing great oral hygiene and attending routine check-ups with our team
There are some patients who may not be right for dental implants. Usually, this is only a temporary problem, and Dr. Gerner and Dr. Heins provide guidance and alternative solutions if needed. These categories include:
- Pregnant women
- Adolescent/young adult patients whose jawbones are still growing
- Patients with systemic conditions like diabetes and immune deficiencies
- Patients who take certain medications that suppress the immune system.
- Patients who suffer from severe bruxism (teeth grinding).
The Dental Implant Process
After we’ve determined that you’re a good candidate for implants, the first step towards a happier, healthier smile is surgical placement into the jawbone. Many dental offices have to send their patients out for time-consuming visits to specialists for this procedure, but thankfully, our doctors have the training and experience to provide it right here in our Plattsburgh practice for your convenience and comfort. In most cases, your newly placed implants require a healing period during which they’ll bond with your natural tissue and create a strong, lasting foundation.
Finally, it will be time to cover the implants with new, custom-made restorations that are strong, lifelike, and beautiful. Your options for this final step include:
- All-Ceramic Crowns – Crowns are the solution of choice when replicating an individual tooth, and our quality materials create results that are simply exceptional. This option allows patients to maintain the health of surrounding teeth as well. However, restoring several teeth in this manner can be an overly lengthy and costly procedure.
- Implant-Retained Prosthetics – These appliances are very similar to traditional dentures and bridges, but they’re actually designed to attach over a number of placed implants, allowing Dr. Gerner and Dr. Heins to restore several teeth at the same time for stronger, more confident results.
Experience Valuable Benefits for Years to Come
- Dental implants are the only tooth replacement solution that actually replicates your whole tooth, not just the white crown on top. This has lasting benefits for both oral health and appearance.
- Your new implants can be treated just like regular teeth, no inconvenient changes to your diet required. Just make sure to brush and floss them like the rest of your natural smile, as well as attending routine check-ups at True North Dental Group!
- As long as they’re cared for properly, most dental implants easily last 20 years, 30 years, or even for the rest of the patient’s life.